Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Boom goes the lightbulb!

I say this because in the past week or so incandescent light bulbs became illegal to purchase in the state of California! These are the simple little bulbs – from the cool-looking Edison ditties with the exposed filaments to the ever popular soft white 100 watt – that we have all taken for granted over the years as an irreplaceable source of light to read by, learn by, fuck by (dimmed of course), thread a needle by, brush teeth by, get dressed at 4 am. and leave for a road trip by, drink some wine at the kitchen table by, cook a cake in a Barbie Oven by, cover with a bandana and dance in the bedroom like Michael Jackson by (or worse, The Bee-Gees and Stay'in Alive), light the garage and build a 4th grade project by – I could go on. It was my light!

Sure as a designer I have specified sexy lighting using halogens and LEDs and narrow spots. But the incandescent was the standby – a sure thing. And now we are told to use compact fluorescent bulbs or some shit that makes everything look like it has a mild case of hepititous 2. And what about the iconic symbol signaling a good idea with a lightbulb and its cute little "illumination" strokes above: "the light bulb went off!". I suppose we are to accept a good idea moment with a symbol made up of a curly fucking florescent bulb striking a bright frizzy fucking moment! My ass! And who wants to have a quiet cry in the bathroom only to glance in the mirror with a tear-soaked face (funny how we look at ourselves in the mirror when we cry, right?) and look like you are in the kitchen at Denny's flipping pancakes. Fuck you 9 watt compact fluorescent light bulb. You suck!

Glad I got that off my chest! I need to get out of here and go to New York and see my baby girl. Planning on being there when I go with Joe Duffy to meet with Westinghouse (Known for their light bulbs incidentally).

Love you sweetheart – keep the light on for me! Dad



No comments:

Post a Comment